56605Re: [scrumdevelopment] Request for reference/reading material - Developer Stories

    Feb 21, 2013
      Hi Michael,

      On Feb 21, 2013, at 3:12 PM, Michael Wollin <yahoo@...> wrote:

      During the conversation, I quoted from memory something Ron once said, I think. It went something like this: I paid you for stories you said were done. Now you say they were not done. But I've already paid you for them, so why should I pay you again?

      Anyway, if there is such a formulation, can someone point me to it? Also, please point me to a good blog discussion or article that I can share with the team to reinforce the coaching on this point.

      I'm not sure I said it, though I probably did, I talk a lot. Kate Oneal said it for sure, in this story. An excerpt:

      “Right!”, said Kate. “Defects do slow us down, and in an unpredictable way. So it makes sense to me not to track them on your chart as if fixing them were a good thing. It’s more of a necessary evil.”

      “But wait!” Carl, this time. “Those bugs can be hard to fix. We put in real work on those. We should get credit for that work.”

      Kate grinned. “Remember the story lady? She comes in every Friday, looks on your shelves for features, and buys what you have, putting dollars in your pockets and lattes on your desks? What’s that beautiful redhead going to say when she finds a defect fix on the shelf? Am I going to pay for it?”

      Carl smiled back. “I guess not. You’re going to say that you already paid for that feature and you want the fix for free.”

      Kate said, “That’s right. Making me pay for defects ain’t workin’. I won’t pay money for nothin’. I want my fix for free.”

      The same thinking applies to cleaning up crappy code, maybe even more so, because that doesn't happen by accident, even if bugs do. (And bugs don't.)
      Sometimes you just have to stop holding on with both hands, both feet, and your tail, to get someplace better.
      Of course you might plummet to the earth and die, but probably not: you were made for this.

    • Show all 107 messages in this topic