56593Re: calculate velocity

  • extremeprogrammer
    Feb 14 1:52 AM
      I advise you not do do this for two reasons:

      1. Many teams have a "burndown signature" that is visible after several sprints. This arises from the teams preferences, maybe for doing a few small stories first, then tackling hard ones, leaving some smaller ones at the end, or maybe they tackle the hard ones first, etc. The belief that the burndown should follow some sort of "ideal" line is clinging to the old world.

      2. http://www.casualmiracles.com/2011/05/16/burndown-prediction-confidence-and-risk/

      Regards,

      Lance

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "czahn777" wrote:

      > Hi,
      > first of all thank you for your responses!
      >
      > The reason why i calculate the velocity on a day-by-day basis is,
      > that i want to calculate a forecast for a sprint. Just as an additional information to the normal burndown chart!
      > I just want to know, if we will finish all stories in the calculated sprint time.
      >
      > So i took the average burndown hours(!) per day and use it as a forecast value. This value now shows to me, when we go on with this 'velocity', we will finish all the stories in this sprint until day X, Y or Z.
      > And no, i don't want to vary the length, i just want to know if we are in time.
      >
      > For your background. We have just started with this project and there is no last sprint yet. And there are no references for this sprint and its velocity.
      >
      > regards,
      > Christof
      >

      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Markus Gaertner wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Christof,
      > >
      > > Scrum doesn't say anything about velocity or burn-ups. Usually during
      > > courses I ask participants for good reasons to come up with stuff like
      > > these. The only answer yet has boiled down to rendezvous planning with some
      > > other group or team.
      > >
      > > Now, I am curious, what daily rendezvous do you face that makes you
      > > evaluate the velocity on a day-by-day basis?
      > >
      > > Best
      > > Markus
      > >
      > > On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Christof Zahn wrote:
      > >

      > > > Hi group,
      > > >
      > > > how do you calculate the burndown rate / velocity for a sprint?
      > > > Here's my example / My understanding:
      > > >
      > > > Start: 42 hours left
      > > > End of Day 1: 36 hours left
      > > > End of Day 2; 28 hours left
      > > > End of Day 3: 18 hours left
      > > >
      > > > Velocity for
      > > > Day 1 is 6 hours (42 minus 36)
      > > > Day 2 is 8 hours
      > > > Day 3 is 10 hours
      > > > Avg. : 8 hours
      > > >
      > > > So the velocity is nothing more than the "burned down" points or hours per
      > > > day.
      > > > Am I correct?
      > > >
      > > > And with that information, how will you do the forecast?
      > > > Take the average velocity or the one from the actual day?
      > > > Maybe it even depends on the sprint length?! Because the velocity at the
      > > > beginning of the sprint is much slower.
      > > > So an average value will be not so representative for a good forecast.
      > > >

      > > > regards,
      > > > christof

      > > --
      > > Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gärtner
      > > Author of ATDD by Example - A Practical Guide to Acceptance Test-Driven
      > > Development
      > > http://www.shino.de/blog
      > > http://www.mgaertne.de
      > > http://www.it-agile.de