56592Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: no more work left in a sprint

  • Dave Smith
    Feb 13, 2013
      If a sprint ends early, and there really are no stories in the backlog (and no product owners available to put them there), then it helps to remind yourself that 'velocity' is a mechanism for establishing a watermark for commitments for the next sprint. Since the current sprint ended abnormally, the best velocity you have to carry forward is from the prior sprint. That means declaring victory on the current sprint, but quietly ignoring it when planning the next sprint. Or you might use it as a weak signal if you've accumulated enough burn-down charts to give you some idea of whether this short sprint is ahead or behind the profiles for previous sprints.

      If you do find yourself "stuck" with time until your product owners can restock the backlog, then consider paying off some technical debt. This opportunity doesn't some often, at least not in this form.

      On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 8:13 AM, czahn777 <czahn@...> wrote:
      Thank you for your great response.
      Should it really occur, that all the work is done before the sprint ends, i think we would add another small story to the sprint.
      I'll inform you ;)

      Thanks, regards,

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Michael James  wrote:
      > Agree with that.  Though I want to emphasize that every time I've heard "we're done early" it turned out the work wasn't really *done*.
      > --mj
      > http://ScrumReferenceCard.com
      > On Feb 11, 2013, at 10:54 AM, Markus Gaertner  wrote:
      > > I'd get together with my team and my product owner, and decide about the best option to go for. That could mean to pay down some technical debt, add some more unit tests, develop some more business facing test automation, or pull the next tiny story suitable for the two days into the sprint, but not to commit on it. That could also mean to do some pre-planning on the stories to come, add some acceptance criteria, or, or, or...
      > >

      > > And I would let the Scrum team decide on that.
      > >
      > > Best
      > > Markus
      > >
      > > On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Christof Zahn  wrote:
      > >

      > > hi group,
      > > this is my first topic in that fabulous discussion group! I'm so excited! :)
      > >
      > > Here's my question:
      > > We're now almost at the end of a sprint. There are 4 day left. When we take a look at our burndown chart, the forecast says we will finish the sprint two days earlier than planned.
      > > There is no more work left in the sprint backlog.
      > >
      > > So, what would you do, if the work will finish earlier?
      > > a) Stop/Finish the sprint, make the review and start into the next sprint?
      > > b) Add some more work from the product backlog that fit into these 2 days?
      > > c) Let the developer do something totally different?
      > >
      > > I look forward to your reply
      > >
      > > regards,
      > > christof
      > >

      > > --
      > > Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gärtner
      > > Author of ATDD by Example - A Practical Guide to Acceptance Test-Driven Development
      > > http://www.shino.de/blog
      > > http://www.mgaertne.de
      > > http://www.it-agile.de
      > > Twitter: @mgaertne