56566Re: How many sprints?

  • Bob Boyd
    Jan 27, 2013
      Hi Charles,

      You are spot on-you would re-estimate if some new knowledge does come along. However, I was trying to suggest doing some release planning activities with their current set of epics and playing down the re-estimation of epics at such an early stage of the project. I also wanted to discourage re-estimating if re-estimating was simply to be more accurate, a form of waste. Generally, initial epic estimates will be very inaccurate and after only one sprint, as in Greg's case, they will not be substantially better. For Greg to be able to say something like "we can release after 10 sprints plus or minus 6" would be pretty good after only one sprint.

      In addition, if Greg now knows after the first sprint that their epic estimates are mis-estimated by some factor, (assuming the epics were estimated relative to each other), the team could quickly adjust all their epic estimates in the backlog without re-estimating. They could then do release planning to get an estimated number of sprints before release.

      Bob boyd