56564Re: How many sprints?

  • Bob
    Jan 26, 2013
      Hi Greg,

      I think following George's and Avi's advice is probably the best way forward for you.

      I might just offer a brief word about Release Planning between the development team and the product owner. In general, the epics in the backlog should be roughly estimated in story points, days or weeks, whichever is most appropriate, and from that rough release dates are established. This can be done before the first sprint. Assuming these epics are estimated relative to each other, no re-estimation is needed; re-estimation is usually a form of waste.

      Take a look at Mike Cohn's book, 'Agile Estimating and Planning' and Roman Pichler's book, 'Agile Product Management with Scrum' for more information on release planning.

      Good luck,

      Bob Boyd

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Greg Robinson wrote:

      > Hello, my Product Owner asked how many sprints will it take for the team to
      > complete several of the epics on our product backlog. We are a brand new
      > team (only 1 sprint under our belt) and not all of the epics have been
      > decomposed into stories and estimated. About 50% of two of our epics have
      > been decomposed into stories and three other epics havent been touched yet.
      > I understand time is fixed and scope is negotiable, but without the team
      > having determined their velocity nor finished decomposing the epics, what
      > is an appropriate response? Any suggestions, tips, or articles are
      > welcomed.
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      >
      > Greg

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic