56558Re: [scrumdevelopment] How many sprints?

  • George Dinwiddie
    Jan 24, 2013
      Greg,

      On 1/24/13 9:20 AM, Greg Robinson wrote:

      > Hello, my Product Owner asked how many sprints will it take for the team
      > to complete several of the epics on our product backlog. We are a brand
      > new team (only 1 sprint under our belt) and not all of the epics have
      > been decomposed into stories and estimated. About 50% of two of our
      > epics have been decomposed into stories and three other epics havent
      > been touched yet. I understand time is fixed and scope is negotiable,
      > but without the team having determined their velocity nor finished
      > decomposing the epics, what is an appropriate response? Any
      > suggestions, tips, or articles are welcomed.

      Have any epics been completed? If so, I would compare the rest of them
      with those. If not, I would start with what is felt to be best
      understood and start with those.

      Compare each epic with ones already estimated. Are they about the same
      size? Bigger? Smaller? Give them relative estimates based on gut feel,
      not based on decomposition into smaller pieces. See
      http://blog.gdinwiddie.com/2013/01/18/a-big-estimate-is-not-a-sum-of-small-estimates/

      Realize that this is just a ballpark. You'll want to reconsider these
      estimates as you go, and you'll want to calibrate them with how long it
      actually takes to complete an epic.

      - George