56484Re: How well understood should a PBI or User Story be at various points in its lifecycle?

  • avinap77
    Jan 7, 2013
      Hi Kurt,

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Kurt Häusler wrote:

      > The Question: How well understood should a Story be at various
      > points
      > in its lifecycle?

      Sorry if this sounds a bit Yoda,
      but I'd say it needs to be understood as much as necessary for each point in it's lifecycle to succeed,
      while taking as little effort as possible.

      I'd suggest taking the discussion away from measuring percentages of uderstanding - what does 99% understanding mean anyway? how is it different from 90%? I can't really know.

      Understandig is not objectively measured. It's subjective. You can't really understand something, you can only think you understand it.

      It also doesn't have one dimention. It has various aspects. You may not fully understand my reply. You might understand the examples I'll give further down this post but not understand what I'm saying in this paragraph. see?

      You can't understand something partially. It isn't scalar- it's boolean. You either understand it or you don't. If you only understand a part of it - it means you have two different parts, one you understand and the other you don't.

      So for intance, to start working in a sprint on a PBI, the team needs to understand the acceptance criteria, or at least to feel confident enough that they do. If they don't - they need to talk with the PO until they think do. That's what sprint planning is for.

      To present a PBI to the team during planning and have the planning be effective, the PO needs to understand whether the PBI is "good enough" or not. If the PO doesn't feel he understands this, he needs to talk to the team and talk to the stakeholders until he does. This happens during grooming.

      Also, in order for the PO to get useful feedback from the team about if the PBI is good enough or not, the team will probably need to understand what the PBI is about and roughly be able to estimate what it takes to work on it. If the team doesn't feel they understand this, they need to talk to the PO about the PBI until they do. This is also part of grooming.

      etc etc.

      What do you think each party (PO, Team, Stakeholder) needs to feel confident about at each point of the sprint lifecycle?

      What do they need to understand for it?

      How can it be achieved most effectively?

      Am I making myself understood..?
      :)

      All the best,
      Avi