      From: Chet Hendrickson <lists@...>
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, January 5, 2013 1:29 PM
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Another User Story terminology thread - Epics/Themes

      Hi,

      I use 'feature' to refer to a thing the business/stakeholders want from us.  I use 'story' and 'user story' interchangeably for the team's description of a feature or features.  I don't use 'epic' or 'theme' or 'saga' or 'ode'.  I don't know what they mean and I bet, like me, you have seen too much time spent determining when one category ends and another starts.

      I call them all 'stories'.  Some are small enough to be scheduled into a Sprint and others aren't.  And some, we don't know enough about to know.

      chet

      Chet Hendrickson

      On Jan 5, 2013, at 2:29 PM, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:

      Charles,

      On 12/19/12 8:25 PM, Charles Bradley - Professional Scrum Trainer and
      Coach wrote:

      > No, it's not what you're thinking... at least it's not about an article
      > or anything like that.
      >
      > Here it is...
      >
      > In the earlier works on User Stories (Cohn, at least -- maybe there's
      > more), the concept of an "Epic" was something like a "big story" or "a
      > story too big to fit into a sprint". A "Theme" was something like "a
      > collection of related stories."
      >
      > In more recent years, I haven't seen much use of the term Theme, but I
      > have seen quite a bit of use of the term Epic, to mean *either* a big
      > story, *or* a collection of Stories(thus taking on the meaning of a Theme).
      >
      > I've noticed this in the last few years. I first noticed it in one of
      > my clients 3 years ago(especially in use at the D/Director/VP level),
      > then I noticed it in Pivotal Tracker and Greenhopper in the last year.
      >
      > Has anyone else seen this use(misuse?) of the terminology? Do we (as a
      > community, and as practitioners) care that the term has been co-opted?
      > Is the impact so small as to not worry about it?

      I've seen lots of organization use lots of different terminology. Often
      they use "feature" instead of either "epic" or "theme." I've seen
      "capability" for the middle level. I don't worry about it much as long
      as people in the organization find it clear and agree on the
      terminology. Often a term must be avoided because it has multiple
      meanings in the organization.

      - George