56464Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum in non-co-located, non-overlapping teams? (was: Meeting minutes for stand up meetings

  • Sean Corfield
    Jan 3, 2013
      On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 7:23 AM, Markus Gaertner <mgaertne@...> wrote:
      Not really. I was more referring to the "pairing" that happens, when I run into a problem with some particular code, and don't know how to fizz the foobar with the buzz. Then I need to find someone else how can show me how to do that. Most of the time I saw this happening in a good way was when people stood up from their desk, moved to another ones desk, who showed this to them directly - or if the expert joined the novice on her own desk.

      Ah, fair enough.

      You appear to compensate for that using a group chat. That's a good idea. However, you probably don't know how often people work themselves into the rathole before they ask on the group chat. That's what I would be bothered about. And that's what I refer to as opportunity costs in communication based upon communication distance (and I think I stole it from Alistair Cockburn).

      Yes, definitely something we have to deal with - it amazes me how much work it is to ensure people feel empowered to ask for help when they need it (and to teach them to recognize when they need help!). As we grow our team, I expect to spend more of my time doing mentoring, which I hope will address this to some extent.
      --
      Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

      "Perfection is the enemy of the good."