56463Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum in non-co-located, non-overlapping teams? (was: Meeting minutes for stand up meetings

  • Sean Corfield
    Jan 3, 2013
      On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 4:03 AM, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:
      If I were trying to produce software with people dispersed to a degree
      that they had no overlapping time, I don't think I would model the
      process on Scrum. I'd probably look at the open source model.

      Good to know, thanx. Sometimes the discussions in this group can give the impression that "everyone" can do Scrum if they just apply sufficient effort, so it's good to see recognition of situations where it can't be applied - and that there are effective alternatives.

      When you do have an overlap, you can do Scrum, though it will require a
      lot of effort from everyone.

      Yes, agreed on the effort added by geo-distribution. At one point I thought we might start to coalesce the team in the Bay Area but a key member had to move away for family reasons and we figured better to keep the team chemistry and work remotely than cut them and rebuild. It's worked well so far (given the usual caveats of remote working) but as we ramp up the team size this year, we'll face more challenges with remote working. If we ever do centralize our team, I'll want to try Scrum "properly".
      --
      Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

      "Perfection is the enemy of the good."