56462Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum in non-co-located, non-overlapping teams? (was: Meeting minutes for stand up meetings

  • Markus Gaertner
    Jan 3, 2013
      Hi Sean,

      On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 11:53 PM, Sean Corfield <seancorfield@...> wrote:
      Now you're conflating an XP practice (pairing) with Scrum which is getting off-topic, yes? ***

      Not really. I was more referring to the "pairing" that happens, when I run into a problem with some particular code, and don't know how to fizz the foobar with the buzz. Then I need to find someone else how can show me how to do that. Most of the time I saw this happening in a good way was when people stood up from their desk, moved to another ones desk, who showed this to them directly - or if the expert joined the novice on her own desk.

      You appear to compensate for that using a group chat. That's a good idea. However, you probably don't know how often people work themselves into the rathole before they ask on the group chat. That's what I would be bothered about. And that's what I refer to as opportunity costs in communication based upon communication distance (and I think I stole it from Alistair Cockburn).

      Best
      Markus

      --
      Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gärtner
      Author of ATDD by Example - A Practical Guide to Acceptance Test-Driven Development