56456Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum in non-co-located, non-overlapping teams? (was: Meeting minutes for stand up meetings

  • Sean Corfield
    Jan 2, 2013
      On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Markus Gaertner <mgaertne@...> wrote:

      well, putting it to extremes, a Scrum team that works all over the
      globe would probably have to plan in time so that they could pair up
      with someone not in their timezone once they tackle a particular hard
      task at hand. Even pairing for 2 hours becomes a drag with it.

      Now you're conflating an XP practice (pairing) with Scrum which is getting off-topic, yes? ***

      Others in this thread have touched on an interesting subtlety that I hadn't considered: focusing on actual vocal sharing of information, rather than (for example) a group chat room. Both allow for a virtual stand up meeting for a distributed team in real time. Are there specific benefits to a conference call as opposed to going round a chat room, having each person summarize yesterday's achievements, today's planned work and any obstacles in their path?

      I think there are definite benefits to a real time meeting - in contrast to Scott's position that async communication could replace the stand up - but I'm interested to hear thoughts on an audio meeting vs a group chat meeting. FWIW, our whole team is in a group chat room (instant message) on Skype all day long and we work primarily Pacific day time to ensure maximum overlap. The group chat is where we all ask questions, share information and coordinate anything that the team as a whole works on. We don't (currently) have a daily stand up via the group chat but as we grow the team I'll probably instigate that to ensure that at least once a day everyone really does share progress and problems.

      I'm under no illusions about what we're doing not being Scrum - given our likely physical setup for the foreseeable future I don't see Scrum as achievable for us. We use Unfuddle as a wiki, ticketing system and git repository so any work committed or any ticket updated by any team member is communicated to all team members (and, at least so far, all team members seem to take the time to read thru those emails and offer advice on each other's tickets or ask questions about aspects of solutions).

      Mark suggested creating independent Scrum teams in each location but that wouldn't apply in our situation - everyone works from home and no two team members live close enough to meet up and work together physically.

      *** As for pairing, we use iChat for shared control of a single computer with two-way audio and that works pretty well since the team all know each other pretty well (but this is getting off into XP territory and isn't really relevant to this thread).
      --
      Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

      "Perfection is the enemy of the good."