56452Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum in non-co-located, non-overlapping teams? (was: Meeting minutes for stand up meetings

  • Alan Dayley
    Jan 2, 2013
      It is possible to be a high performing team without any of the Scrum or other Agile practices being explicitly required.  Possible, but harder and longer to get there.

      I my opinion, the team described in the trigger statement of this thread is NOT a Scrum team, given that they do not meet together and some members do not share the ability to talk in the same language. Sure, do as many Scrum and Agile practices as you can and get some benefit. I just think the situation compromises the ability to even approximate the spirit of Scrum practices.

      As for teams distributed or dispersed in less broken ways, they will have significant handicaps for reaching high performance. I see these handicaps every day with teams I am working with now.  Expect to double the amount of time people need for communication (documents, meetings, phone calls, chat, etc.)

      Can you do it? Yes. And it will be hard. A 40% minimum performance hit is my guesstimate for a great team that is not co-located. That is a huge hit. People who have not worked on a high performing, collocated team don't believe me when I state such a number. They just don't know how much the geography hurts and can't believe it's that much.

      Alan

      On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM, scott <sepreece@...> wrote:

      Well, the meeting isn't the important thing, the sharing of status and commitment is. So, if people are comfortable with using a twiki or other means to service those goals, I think you could do Scrum even without synchronous meetings.

      I also tend to think that the key Scrum things are the planning/prioritization/demonstration paradigm, rather than the daily meetings. A long time ago, in confirmation class, I was taught "A sacrament is an outward and visible sign of an inward and spiritual grace." Just so, the standup is a visible sign but the transfer of knowledge is the inward good that matters more.

      scott

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Sean Corfield <seancorfield@...> wrote:

      > On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Account <richardknaster@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **

      > > Notes are very useful for distributed teams when there are no over-lapping
      > > hours and when there are several team members whose primary language is not
      > > the same as what is being used on the call.
      > >

      > Can such a team even do "Scrum"? (genuine question) They can't do daily
      > stand up meetings - since their time doesn't overlap. Presumably there are
      > other aspects of self-organization in Scrum which they can't effectively do
      > since they don't have overlapping time? How is that supposed to work?
      >
      > (My reason for asking is my team are geographically dispersed although they
      > only cover three timezones so they do overlap in time - therefore I'm
      > interested to hear what impact on Scrum people think a lack of co-location,
      > a shift in timezones, and a language barrier all have)
      > --
      > Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
      > An Architect's View -- http://corfield.org/
      > World Singles, LLC. -- http://worldsingles.com/
      >
      > "Perfection is the enemy of the good."
      > -- Gustave Flaubert, French realist novelist (1821-1880)

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic