56451Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum in non-co-located, non-overlapping teams? (was: Meeting minutes for stand up meetings

  • Markus Gaertner
    Jan 2, 2013
      Hi Scott,

      well, putting it to extremes, a Scrum team that works all over the
      globe would probably have to plan in time so that they could pair up
      with someone not in their timezone once they tackle a particular hard
      task at hand. Even pairing for 2 hours becomes a drag with it.

      Sure, with star programmers, you probably don't need that. You also
      don't work in an environment where everyone is sitting in another
      timezone, but even putting one team member at a different location
      costs dramatically when it comes to knowledge sharing.

      I think it's at Harry Collins' fifth level of knowledge exchange in
      "Tacit and Explicit Knowledge": a cultural thing. If you drop a
      dishwasher at a folk in the jungle, they won't know what to do with
      it. They have to invent fluent power supply, and heck, even dish,
      before they can do something with it. If you work in a dispersed team,
      some of the code will look like a dishwasher to a folk in the jungle
      if communication beyond timezone barriers has to happen for that
      knowledge to transfer to the people that need it.

      Best
      Markus

      On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 10:32 PM, scott <sepreece@...> wrote:
      > Well, the meeting isn't the important thing, the sharing of status and commitment is. So, if people are comfortable with using a twiki or other means to service those goals, I think you could do Scrum even without synchronous meetings.
      >
      > I also tend to think that the key Scrum things are the planning/prioritization/demonstration paradigm, rather than the daily meetings. A long time ago, in confirmation class, I was taught "A sacrament is an outward and visible sign of an inward and spiritual grace." Just so, the standup is a visible sign but the transfer of knowledge is the inward good that matters more.
      >
      > scott
      >

      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Sean Corfield <seancorfield@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Account <richardknaster@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> > **
      >> >
      >> > Notes are very useful for distributed teams when there are no over-lapping
      >> > hours and when there are several team members whose primary language is not
      >> > the same as what is being used on the call.
      >> >

      >> Can such a team even do "Scrum"? (genuine question) They can't do daily
      >> stand up meetings - since their time doesn't overlap. Presumably there are
      >> other aspects of self-organization in Scrum which they can't effectively do
      >> since they don't have overlapping time? How is that supposed to work?
      >>
      >> (My reason for asking is my team are geographically dispersed although they
      >> only cover three timezones so they do overlap in time - therefore I'm
      >> interested to hear what impact on Scrum people think a lack of co-location,
      >> a shift in timezones, and a language barrier all have)
      >> --
      >> Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
      >> An Architect's View -- http://corfield.org/
      >> World Singles, LLC. -- http://worldsingles.com/
      >>
      >> "Perfection is the enemy of the good."
      >> -- Gustave Flaubert, French realist novelist (1821-1880)

      Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gärtner
      Author of ATDD by Example - A Practical Guide to Acceptance
      Test-Driven Development
      http://www.shino.de/blog
      http://www.mgaertne.de
      http://www.it-agile.de