56450Re: Scrum in non-co-located, non-overlapping teams? (was: Meeting minutes for stand up meetings

  • scott
    Jan 2, 2013
      Well, the meeting isn't the important thing, the sharing of status and commitment is. So, if people are comfortable with using a twiki or other means to service those goals, I think you could do Scrum even without synchronous meetings.

      I also tend to think that the key Scrum things are the planning/prioritization/demonstration paradigm, rather than the daily meetings. A long time ago, in confirmation class, I was taught "A sacrament is an outward and visible sign of an inward and spiritual grace." Just so, the standup is a visible sign but the transfer of knowledge is the inward good that matters more.

      scott

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Sean Corfield <seancorfield@...> wrote:

      > On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Account <richardknaster@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >
      > > Notes are very useful for distributed teams when there are no over-lapping
      > > hours and when there are several team members whose primary language is not
      > > the same as what is being used on the call.
      > >

      > Can such a team even do "Scrum"? (genuine question) They can't do daily
      > stand up meetings - since their time doesn't overlap. Presumably there are
      > other aspects of self-organization in Scrum which they can't effectively do
      > since they don't have overlapping time? How is that supposed to work?
      >
      > (My reason for asking is my team are geographically dispersed although they
      > only cover three timezones so they do overlap in time - therefore I'm
      > interested to hear what impact on Scrum people think a lack of co-location,
      > a shift in timezones, and a language barrier all have)
      > --
      > Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
      > An Architect's View -- http://corfield.org/
      > World Singles, LLC. -- http://worldsingles.com/
      >
      > "Perfection is the enemy of the good."
      > -- Gustave Flaubert, French realist novelist (1821-1880)

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic