56434RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Meeting minutes for stand up meetings

  • Stigall, BJ
    Dec 28, 2012

      If they are “required” sounds like some “bureaucrat” justifying his job?  As someone said, question if someone is actually reading them.  I have a co-worker who will do some report twice and wait to do it a third time only if someone asks for it.

      From: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com [mailto:scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Michael James
      Sent: Friday, December 28, 2012 1:35 PM
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Meeting minutes for stand up meetings

      As a general rule I'd say it's the ScrumMaster's job to protect the team from the people who are asking for all these intermediate artifacts such as meeting minutes, daily burndowns, etc..  The team demonstrates a potentially shippable product increment every Sprint Review Meeting.  If you're so interested in what my team's doing, come to the Sprint Review Meeting and see the product.

      On Dec 28, 2012, at 11:27 AM, "woynam" <woyna@...> wrote:

      Yes, I understand that it's an urban legend, but it doesn't mean that it isn't a good story. :-)

      Unfortunately, our industry does a lot of crazy things because "that's the way we've always done it", or "the auditors require us to do that."

      The OP's company may require meeting notes, but the team should still question why. I agree with Charles, as 99.9% of the time there is no need for meeting notes, and in the 0.1% of the time it's "required" I'd still question the need.

      Maybe the OP should agree to generate meeting notes *only* if the company agrees that any time someone *reads* the notes they have to send a note to the team explaining why their reading the notes. I have a hunch that the notes will never get read.

      Funny, but I would say the majority of my learning throughout the day occurs during informal hallway conversations. I guess we should all write meeting notes for every conversation that takes place, including the ones near the water cooler.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Laurent Bossavit <lolists@...> wrote:
      > Hi Mark,
      > > I heard this one years ago. Source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_the_monkey_banana_and_water_spray_experiment_ever_take_place
      > Most of the graphic details of this "experiment" are made up. No bananas, no water hose, no monkeys beating up other monkeys.
      > Primary source is here:
      > http://bit.ly/TnqbOQ
      > An interesting tidbit you can pick up from the primary source (but not from the folk retellings) is that females didn't pick up the avoidance behavior.
      > In addition to noting the folkloric embellishment, let's observe that this "experiment" teaches us nothing about human beings that we didn't already know. It may be news regarding primates that they can learn avoidance behavior by observation and non-verbal communication, but it's absolutely not news about humans.
      > It's a nice story, and it gets the particular point across that it's supposed to make... But it strikes me as only very, very slightly relevant to the OP's question.
      > Cheers,
      > Laurent Bossavit
      > laurent@...
      > Read "The Leprechauns of Software Engineering":
      > http://leanpub.com/leprechauns

    • Show all 41 messages in this topic