56330Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Requirement communication between dev and PO

  • changjiang1124@gmail.com
    Dec 6, 2012
      Greg:

      Exactly!! I almost get your conclusion by finishing reading the first 2 paragraphs.

      This is like a grey zone. Both side (PO and dev) would think that's the other's problem. Right now, it seems kinda a solution by gathering PO and dev (maybe just some of them) together to discuss the details, inspired by backlog grooming. The whole team could need some time to get used to this meeting and find the routine.

      Could I get some advices from you?

      Best regards
      Chang, Jiang

      On Dec 6, 2012, at 3:55 PM, "gregc" <greg@...> wrote:

      Jiang,
      It's very challenging to diagnose with the pace of information exchange over a group list like this. I was hoping to understand a bit more about what being "responsible" for the product really means as far as the activities the PO owns. But for now, I'll attempt to layout a simple model and tell you what I've heard and you can let me know if this model applies and if my hypothesis on where the problem might lay has merit.

      In one of the simpler views of the world, new product development has 3 phases that need to be passed through. This is true of waterfall or agile: these only differ in the batch size accepted into each phase. The phases are Define --> Design --> Build.

      This step in the middle, Design, is really important. It is where we match the problem or need to a solution. In definition we get a sense of what a customer is trying to accomplish, how they think about success, and their impediments to realizing that. Definition is about needs. It requires research, VOC, ethnography, observation. In the design step, it's about analysis, a feature or set of features begin to emerge to satisfy the need. This takes analysts skills and a deep understanding of workflows, data elements, rules. There's also user experience, understanding the interaction design, visual design, information architecture, and actual content that needs to be presented and which data elements can be manipulated and how, etc. and you need technical architecture skill describe how the design will be implemented. Now it sounds to me like

      1) your developers are well equipped to build and well equipped to handle the technical architecture.
      2) your PO can define the customer's need (although I'm not certain of this.)
      3) you may have a gap in design where some or all of the major design tasks are not being handled by anyone. Or no one is willing to own them so they are being handled in an adhoc fashion. This might be an issue of individuals not believing it is their responsibility or a missing skill set within the team.

      Let me know if this is on target or not.

      -greg