56312Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: How to increase velocity

    Dec 1, 2012
      Good post, Cass.

      > ...what they should tell management that is asking to increase velocity

      I think this may be the heart of the problem.  The more I think about it, the more I think velocity should *almost never* be reported beyond the Scrum team.  I'd rather the PO report to the wider organization with value, "dates and dollars".

      Dates = Projected Release Dates based on what we know at this instant (Iterate towards better date accuracy)
      *Dollars = Projected cost per feature, per sprint, per release, etc(Iterate towards better cost accuracy)
      Value = Projected value per feature, per release, per bug(negative business value) etc  (With some "in production" validation of value -- iterate towards better projections/validations of value )

      * Caveat:  In my view, there is very little value to the org to focus *heavily* on cost if you don't at least try to project and measure(validate) value.  Today, it seems like people focus on cost/value (as a percentage of effort) 90%/10%, when they should be focusing on cost/value as 10%/90%.  It'll probably take a few more MySpaces, Vistas, and Zunes to drive that point home.

      -------
      Charles Bradley
      http://www.ScrumCrazy.com