56310Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: How to increase velocity

  • Adam Sroka
    Dec 1, 2012
      Going faster is not always a good thing. Although, sometimes it is.

      Pretending to go faster produces far more distress than value.

      On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 11:10 PM, m1ke_pearce <mike@...> wrote:

      Cass,

      I don't agree with this at all.

      If a team is inspecting and adapting, constantly improving their practises and themselves, then their velocity will go up. Not indefinitely of course, but until a team reaches high performance, which my experience tells me takes a long time, their velocity will gradually increase.

      So, instead of using the analogy of a generator, use one of a NASCAR. Until the driver hits his groove, making the turns at the right speed, the right angle in and out, his speed will continue to increase.

      Cheers,

      Mike Pearce
      http://blog.mikepearce.net

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Cass Dalton <cassdalton73@...> wrote:

      > Trying to increase the velocity means that you've fallen into the illusion
      > of control mind trap. You can't change velocity. It is inherent in the
      > team and their ability to work the stories. As long as the team is
      > estimating stories honestly and consistently and the team makeup does not
      > change, the true team velocity will be effectively a constant. The team
      > can inflate the estimates, thus inflating the velocity, but that's just
      > smoke and mirrors. But this is one of the major benefits of Scrum from a
      > manager's perspective: Scrum gives you visibility into the team's ability
      > to deliver. Good managers know that a good team will deliver what it can
      > when it can. Scrum gives a rough measure of that performance in the
      > velocity metric, so good managers know that a good team's velocity can't be
      > increased. Velocity is a read-only parameter. It's like saying my
      > generator's maximum output is 10 kilowatts, but all my gadgets together
      > require 12 KW, how do I increase my generator's output?. You don't. You
      > can do things like drive the generator's gas motor harder for a little
      > while (i.e. overtime), but you will incur maintenance costs quickly if that
      > is sustained for any period of time. You can try to run all the gadgets,
      > but you will degrade all of your electronics with low quality line power
      > (i.e. buggy and half baked features). You can buy a second generator, but
      > how you connect the two generators may incur power loss if it's not done
      > right. So the best thing is to realize that you won't be able to power all
      > your gadgets. Once you make that realization, life becomes much simpler.
      > It is these decisions that make managers great.
      >

      > On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 6:05 AM, Anand Mahadevan <anand_kasi@...>wrote:
      >
      > > **

      > > There is no magic to increase the velocity, not sure why they are very
      > > much interested in increasing the velocity rather than getting a shippable
      > > product.
      > >
      > > But if the management and your boss is only interested in increasing the
      > > velocity then ask your teams to estimate all PBI's as (even the smaller
      > > ones) Large & XL & XXL and your management would automatically see
      > > increased velocity from your teams. * if they are only interested in
      > > Velocity then we can not stop them from fooling them*
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Anand
      > >
      > > <http://anand4agile.blogspot.in/>

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic