56295Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: How to increase velocity

  • George Dinwiddie
    Nov 29, 2012
      Brian,

      On 11/28/12 6:29 AM, brian_bofu wrote:
      > It's not manipulating the number. It's about how to get more things
      > done or done faster. The management is willing to offer their
      > resource and help. We're looking for constructive suggestions to
      > improve the ability to deliver.

      You've gotten some good suggestions about "minimizing the work not done."

      Another approach is to buy the boss 4 copies of "The Mythical Man-Month"
      so he can read it in 1/4 the time.

      The only other approach I've seen that can actually increase
      productivity is to focus on quality and learning. Developers CAN learn
      to produce working software faster, but not if they're pushed to be
      faster. They have to be asked for "better" and given time for learning.
      Yes, it's likely they'll slow down a bit before they can become faster.
      Yes, it's a long-term approach that might not show returns for this
      current project. Yes, they still have to "want to" be better.

      In the near term, cutting scope is THE way to meet a deadline. They
      whole point of having a PO is adjusting scope in a way that gives the
      best possible result by the time desired. Scrum is not a magic way to
      speed up those lazy developers.

      - George