56291Re: Completing Stories (i.e. swarming vs filling the pipeline)

  • JackM
    Nov 28, 2012
      Very relevant and I get that, the issues is figuring out the best way to convince the team.

      So the discussion this senior developer had with me is he is worrying about his longer release commitments and getting that started so as to get ahead.

      The problem I see with this approach is the most important things get finished later rather than sooner. The whole swarming thing seems un-natural to them.

      If they truly have nothing more to do in the current Sprint, perhaps they could start some spike stories to get ahead for the next sprint.

      But in terms of flow, i think this approach is not good. i.e. you end up potentially with stockpiles on qa's plate.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Bret Wortman <bret.wortman@...> wrote:

      > It seems to me that the goal isn't so much to keep a developer's pipeline
      > full as it is to keep developers working. There's a natural end to each
      > sprint at which all the work ceases, the pipes (well, the sprint backlog,
      > anyway) is empty and everyone breathes for a moment. Then you refill the
      > pipe from the water tower (the product backlog) and start over again.
      >
      > During the sprint, I shouldn't have my pipe filled with claimed but
      > unstarted work. I should be grabbing one thing at a time and completing it
      > before moving on. Otherwise, by pre-claiming work, I'm limiting what others
      > can do during the sprint and risking not being able to complete everything
      > *I* signed up for.
      >
      > It helps to think of this from the team's perspective, not an individual's.
      > If that's your issue, anyway. It's the team pipe that matters, so swarming
      > to help someone complete a task before sprint's end is a good thing --
      > having a backlog of work that's all for Joe to do is risky.
      >
      > If I've missed the mark completely, please give us some additional detail.
      >

      > On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:15 PM, JackM <jack@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I have some developers struggling with the dilema wrt completing stories
      > > in a sprint - i.e. meat your goal all crossing the goal line together vs
      > > keeping developers pipeline full
      > >
      > > I am looking for some good arguments to support this.
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > > Jack
      > >

      > --
      > Bret Wortman