56279Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: How to increase velocity

  • Bret Wortman
    Nov 28, 2012
      Agreed and understood. Given your current velocity, figure out how many features or stories or BLIs you can get done in the time available. That's what your team, today, can commit to complete.

      Anything we suggest might or might not work for this particular team and might reduce the team's velocity instead of increasing it. There are no magic pills, or we wouldn't have an inspect/adapt cycle for teams. What makes scrum work, and what makes performing teams actually increase their own velocity, is that there's enough freedom in the process to change things, that a team can work out for itself what helps it get more done well, and what doesn't.

      On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 6:29 AM, brian_bofu <brian_bofu@...> wrote:

      It's not manipulating the number. It's about how to get more things done or done faster. The management is willing to offer their resource and help. We're looking for constructive suggestions to improve the ability to deliver.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Bret Wortman <bret.wortman@...> wrote:
      > To add to what Ron said, your goal really isn't increasing velocity, the
      > goal is delivering a product at a particular time.
      > Don't think of velocity as some magical number to be manipulated. It's more
      > a vital sign for your team, a way to gauge how things are going. Establish
      > a baseline and see what happens as the team makes alterations to its
      > process. Viewed from outside, it's just a number. Viewed in the context of
      > the inspect & adapt cycle, it's a valuable measure, but not the only one.
      > But trying to manipulate it directly to speed the team up? Almost
      > guaranteed to fail.
      > On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 6:09 AM, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      > > **

      > > Cut features. Nothing else works, ever.