56278Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: How to increase velocity

  • Paul Hudson
    Nov 28, 2012
      Ask the team. What are your retrospective meetings discussing? What do the team think are the items that are impacting what they can get done? Work on removing those impediments.

      There's no magic item that you implement in any team and it automatically increases velocity. Overtime is one that's known not to work well or at all. Adding people was largely debunked by Brooks a long time ago.

      So you need to look at what is impacting what can be done in your team, in your context, and your organisation. Once you've identified some stuff, then the people on this list may be able to offer some advice.

      Who is your Scrum master? How experienced is she? You may benefit from an external Scrum coach (and I'm not one, so I'm not pushing the service :)) to help the team identify impediments and possible ways to mitigate or remove them.

      But these things take time. You should be telling your management that given what they've asked for and the team's current velocity, it is probable they cannot have all they want at the time they want. You will be looking to improve things, but it is not guaranteed (or indeed, probably not likely, depending on how far off you are now) to change this.

      And management that asks for fixed-scope  and fixed-date/effort probably counts as an impediment,

      On 28 November 2012 11:29, brian_bofu <brian_bofu@...> wrote:

      It's not manipulating the number. It's about how to get more things done or done faster. The management is willing to offer their resource and help. We're looking for constructive suggestions to improve the ability to deliver.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Bret Wortman <bret.wortman@...> wrote:

      > To add to what Ron said, your goal really isn't increasing velocity, the
      > goal is delivering a product at a particular time.
      >
      > Don't think of velocity as some magical number to be manipulated. It's more
      > a vital sign for your team, a way to gauge how things are going. Establish
      > a baseline and see what happens as the team makes alterations to its
      > process. Viewed from outside, it's just a number. Viewed in the context of
      > the inspect & adapt cycle, it's a valuable measure, but not the only one.
      >
      > But trying to manipulate it directly to speed the team up? Almost
      > guaranteed to fail.
      >
      > On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 6:09 AM, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **

      > > Cut features. Nothing else works, ever.