56277Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: How to increase velocity

  • RonJeffries
    Nov 28, 2012
      Brian,

      On Nov 28, 2012, at 6:29 AM, "brian_bofu" <brian_bofu@...> wrote:

      It's not manipulating the number. It's about how to get more things done or done faster. The management is willing to offer their resource and help. We're looking for constructive suggestions to improve the ability to deliver.

      First, do Scrum. The point of Scrum is to improve your ability to deliver. So tell us a bit about what Scrum is telling you ... or why it isn't telling you.

      Your mission is to build shippable software in every Sprint: try to do that and pay attention.
      You have a daily standup meeting to tell you what is in people's way: remove those obstacles.
      You have a retrospective every Sprint to decide what needs improvement: do that.

      To speed up you need to know what is slowing you down now. There are many possibilities, and what to do depends on the answer:
      • are you delivering a shippable product every two weeks?
      • is your product owner competent and empowered?
      • are requirements clear?
      • are you processing many defects?
      • are you writing tests before the code, or after?
      • are there lots of handoffs from person to person in the course of building a feature?
      • are your features large and complex, requiring more than a couple of days to build each one?
      • are team members available full time on the project?
      • are there changes and interruptions causing work to be thrown away or redone?

      In short, what's happening that is slowing you down? Quite likely, the team knows what to do about those things. So do the people here, if you need suggestions. However, with a deadline looming, you're not going to suddenly go twice as fast.

      Seriously, the question you were asked sounds a lot like how to get ten pounds into a five pound bag, and as phrased it didn't sound much like "what can I the manager do, or what can the product owner do, to help you?" It sounded like "what are you developers going to do to get all this stuff that I want when I want it."

      The answer to that is to choose what to do next, and to find and defer work that doesn't have to be done.
      Don't ignore your dreams; don't work too much; say what you think; cultivate friendships; be happy. -- Paul Graham

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic