56270Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum within your own company

  • changjiang1124@gmail.com
    Nov 25, 2012
      Sometimes Product team just want to keep devs busy, or they just keep trying to figure out a way to make money.

      Best regards
      Chang, Jiang

      On Nov 22, 2012, at 5:19 AM, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:

      Chang,

      On 11/19/12 10:08 PM, changjiang1124@... wrote:

      > Hi guys:
      >
      > As I've been reminded, I repost the following to a new thread.
      >
      > --------------
      > I am new to this group, should have much to learn from you guys.
      >
      > I see here we always talk about "customer", does Scrum only fit kinda
      > outsourcing development? What about doing your own products? That means,
      > you will always get feedbacks from your customers, like bugs or wanted
      > features, sometimes you need to reply them within several hours. And you
      > still need to keep pace on your own milestones.
      > --------------
      >
      > @George, thanks for your reply.
      > I can understand you should see your product owner as your customers.
      > But when your customers are in your company, means they can always bring
      > some "emergency" to you, from your business partners, or VIP customers,
      > and if you don't want to slow down the business, you should pause what
      > you are doing and support the "emergency", sometimes it may last several
      > weeks, some or all of your devs may be occupied during this period. This
      > would mess your whole plan.

      How often does your company have "emergencies?"

      If they are very infrequent, you can either put your plans on hold and
      deal with them, of split some people off to deal with them. It slows
      down the planned work, of course, but that's the nature of emergencies.

      If emergencies are common, then they're not so much emergencies as they
      are poor ways of operating. I've seen this many times. Sometimes it's a
      lack of planning. Sometimes it's too much power invested in a sales
      person who wants to impress a customer or potential customer at the
      expense of the long-term health of the company. Sometimes it's a way of
      getting around a formal process of allocating time and money to
      projects. Sometimes the organizational culture rewards "heroes" and
      "firefighting" and ignores competent day-to-day work.

      - George