56264Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Non-cross functional team

  • Mark Levison
    Nov 23, 2012

      One more question. Is most work being done with pair programming? It will increase quality and help cross skill faster.

      Cheers
      Mark

      On Nov 23, 2012 11:35 AM, "Mark Levison" <mark@...> wrote:

      You have an under utilization problem because people haven't cross skilled enough.

      Questions: do all of your team members pitch in for testing? Test automation? ...

      If the answer is no you don't have an under utilization problem you have a not done problem.

      Cheers
      Mark - from a phone

      On Nov 23, 2012 10:34 AM, "marvin438android" <marvin.438@...> wrote:

      Thanks for all the answers!

      First, my misunderstanding, we do have a cross-functional team. It's just that not all developers are capable of working on all stories.

      So one solution would be to train the team so that everyone can do any work. We will strive towards this, but it will take some time.

      As for not estimating - I don't understand how this alone would solve the problem? If I have understood correctly, the idea would be to split the product backlog items so that all would be of roughly equal and reasonable size (say 1-3 days of work) and then simply count items. While this may be a good idea, it still seems to me that the problem remains: some items would require mobile development skills and others server development skills and this makes it hard to select items for the sprint. It is difficult to compare to previous sprints - the ratio between mobile and server work is differs.

      Under-utilization is a problem and is not acceptable around here:-)

      - Marv

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      > Hi Mark,
      >
      > On Nov 22, 2012, at 6:28 PM, Mark Levison <mark@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Marvin - the system is trying to give you a hint. The hint is you need to start cross training the team so anyone can do the work. This blog post tells you how I work with teams to grow that skill: http://agilepainrelief.com/notesfromatooluser/2012/02/scrummaster-talesthe-team-gets-bottlenecked.html
      >

      > While I of course recommend additional cross-training, I see no evidence that this is the hammer needed for Marvin's particular nail.
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > If another does not intend offense, it is wrong for me to seek it;
      > if another does indeed intend offense, it is foolish for me to permit it.
      > -- Kelly Easterley

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic