56226Re: [scrumdevelopment] Well done waterfall+agile

  • George Dinwiddie
    Nov 10, 2012
      Marco,

      On 11/8/12 7:00 PM, marcodorantes wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > I am looking for articles or papers that talk about the details of
      > how to successfully execute a development project with a waterfall
      > façade to the upper-management layer and an agile approach for the
      > development team. All is new in the project: the team, the users, the
      > application, the technology. Note that with «waterfall» I mean strict
      > sequential stages of requirements, analysis, design, coding, testing,
      > deployment to production, and three months of maintenance; along with
      > a fixed-price/fixed-scope contract, and a single Gantt chart as part
      > of the signed contract. This Gantt chart will work as the criteria
      > for payments at the end of each stage against stated deliverables in
      > the contract.
      >
      > I have heard, from time to time, that some teams have done precisely
      > that and very well done. Yet, I have not checked the evidence to
      > believe it.
      >
      > Could you point to those articles or papers, or experiences?

      I've seen a number of teams who think they're doing Agile development,
      but are, instead, trying to burn through a fixed backlog by using
      iterative processes. Theoretically, that could work. It would even give
      you a better indicator of progress (or lack of it). I've never seen it
      go well, however. It has all the fragility of waterfall plus the
      frustration of not being allowed to use what you learn as you go.

      If you can't change the backlog, it's not, by any means, Agile under the
      covers. It's still waterfall, even if you use some practices that are
      commonly associated with Agile.

      - George