      From: Eric Tiongson <tiongks@...>
      To: "scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com" <scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: "scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com" <scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, November 4, 2012 9:57 AM
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Team Consultants

      That's exactly what I was thinking, I can't imagine consultants delivering stories by themselves.  Or maybe I can ask consultants to always pair up with one of the core team members.  Some of our teams are not (yet) into pair programming.

      Thanks.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Nov 5, 2012, at 1:17 AM, Michael James <mj4scrum@...> wrote:

      If I did that, I'd probably stipulate that those people need to act more as mentors and less as task executors.

      --mj
      (Michael)

      On Nov 4, 2012, at 9:11 AM, Eric Tiongson <tiongks@...> wrote:

      /luker-mode off

      I guess we've all been witness to this - too many projects and not enough specialized skills to go around or perhaps there's a small group of people who are always on demand because they are good at making things "work".  For one reason or another you find yourselves seeing people being dragged from one project to another.

      I've been reading on The Scrum Field Guide: Practical Advice for Your First Year and in the book it describes creating a group of Team Consultants that can, in a way, "lend a helping hand" every now and then to core scrum teams.

      There's a blog post regarding this here - http://www.mitchlacey.com/blog/structuring-the-team-in-scrum-agile-projects.  It explains the concept better than I can.

      This is exactly what our CEO and I have been discussing over the past few weeks, he wants a group of team consultants and I'm a bit hesitant.  Call me old-fashioned but I always try (and mostly succeeded) in keeping the same group of people within the project from start to end.

      Have you guys done this, i.e. having Team Consultants within your projects?  I have been a Team Consultant before but the engagements that I've been involved in (as a Team Consultant) are waterfall-ish and I can't quite picture in my head how this kind of arrangement would work with Scrum.

      Regards,

      Eric

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic