56211Re: Well done waterfall+agile

  • Jose Solera
    Nov 9, 2012
      I beg to disagree with those who say not to do it. If you have to, you have to. I had to do it once (no choice, believe me!)

      What I did: I layered an approach developed at Intel for their semiconductor design projects and now known as "Commitment Based Project Management" or CBPM for short. It is a domain-agnostic (it's been used not only in semiconductor design and software development, but also construction, defense projects, medical device development, education, event-planning, and numerous other domains).

      It starts with what we call "map days". These are planning days through which the entire team develops a rolling plan. Details are planned as far out as the team is comfortable with, typically 6-8 weeks. Owners make commitments as to when they'll deliver an item. They work with the consumers or users of these deliverables to ensure agreement on what is being delivered. Subsequent map days are scheduled, one at a time, at the end of the previous map day.

      Regularly (at least three times a week some times daily) progress is reviewed and adjustments made to the plans. Issues are encouraged to be brought to light as soon as possible.

      Deliverables and status are tracked through an automated Excel spreadsheet.

      More details are available in Timm Esque's book describing its development: No Surprises Project Management, at the LinkedIn group Project Acceleration thru Commitment Based Project Management (http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1944064&trk=hb_side_g), in workshops that Timm and I deliver, in a white paper I published (let me know if you are interested), in Timm's company website (http://ensemblemc.com/) and in a white paper he's published (http://ensemblemc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/2010-Ensemble-paper_Commitment-Based-Project-Management.pdf).

      To get back to my story: I had to use a home-grown waterfall methodology. We planned the effort using CBPM, avoided saying yes to the unrealistic date requested by the customer by demonstrating its impossibility in the first map day, made a commitments early on (second map day since we needed to see if we could deliver portions of the software -- Agile!) and hit each and everyone of our commitments on the nose. "There were no fires!" was the best comment I heard.

      Would I use this instead of Scrum or XP? No! Those approaches are designed for software development. But if I have to use waterfall, yes. Or for some other less-SW-development time of IT projects such as migrating applications to a new security system, deploying servers, etc.

      Contact me or Timm (through his website) if you want more details.

      All the best,

      Jose Solera, MBA, PMPĀ®, CSM, CSPO, CSP

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic