56131Re: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Is Scrum Master a Managerial Role?

  • Adam Sroka
    Oct 25, 2012
      The most effective leaders, in my experience, are more influential than powerful. IMO, nearly all of the organizational disfunctions that I run into as a coach are the result of artificial hierarchies and the communication problems they cause up and down the chain.

      I could care less what you call the roles in your organization. Whatever you call them, asking good questions beats giving direction almost 100% of the time.

      On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Kevin Callahan <kcallahan@...> wrote:

      As a scrum master, I have no clout, I have influence. I work to build my credibility through relentless transparency and integrity. When I make a suggestion for a direction, people follow it or not because they trust me or not; I strive to always have earned that trust.

      My definition of manager is someone who has organizational authority and explicit power. They can make decisions about the employment status of those that report to them: whether those people are hired, fired, and how much they're paid.

      A scrum master is not this kind of manager, and if someone who is this kind of manager is also taking on the title of scrum master, well, that's not scrum, that person is not in fact a scrum master, and there are a lot of extremely good reasons for that.

      Feel free to further debate the semantics; I don't think many of the points are inaccurate or incorrect IF the factor of authority differentiated from influence is explicitly stated…

      -kevin

      On Oct 24, 2012, at 11:25 AM, Antony wrote:

      From what I have been told about this, Scrum Master is a managerial role towards the business but not towards the team. The reason for this is so s/he has the clout towards the business to overcome impediments.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Partogi <joshua.java@...> wrote:

      > Definitely not true. Scrum Master is a managerial role.

      LiveWorld
      Kevin Callahan
      Scrum Master & Agile Coach
      LiveWorld Inc.