56130Re: [scrumdevelopment] Is Scrum Master a Managerial Role?

  • Jesse Houwing
    Oct 25, 2012
      On the training I received, not by Ken, it was clearly explained as follows, and I'll try to give an answer as close as to how it was formulated. It touches upon a lot of points previously touched upon.:

      - The scrum master is a servant leader to the team. He's responsible for the planning of the ceremonies and to ensure that the right people are involved. He can of course delegate this to anyone, but it's his responsibility to make sure the meetings happen and the process is constantly followed and improved. (keywords: lead, support, organize)
      - The scrum master is responsible to effect change in the organisation, teach, coach and if needed confront the Stakeholders, PO, team on the underlying principles of scrum. He's also responsible to make sure these people constantly follow and improve their way of being Agile, again preferably by servant leadership (keywords: effect change, vision, explain, coach, politics)
      - And finally: the scrum master must remove impediments that cause the team to stall. Not by solving bugs by himself, or taking matters in his own hands, but by managing the issues in the organisation, the team (preferably by request) and 3rd parties (keywords: manage organisation, effect change, vision, politics)

      All of these are skills normally attributed to a managerial role. Not in the form of line or project or people management, but a more of a change and organisational management level. I'd call that a managerial role. It's is however very important to stress the non lin, people and project management part of it.

      Jesse

      On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 6:44 PM, Michael Mallete <mrmallete@...> wrote:

      Someone mentioned that he does mention this in his PSM courses and even appears in the PSM exam (the question whether SM is managerial role: answer is Yes!)

      I personally would at least need to hear the reason why Ken teaches it this way rather than just taking it because he said so.

      salamat,
      mike mallete

      On Thursday, October 25, 2012, woynam wrote:

      Oy. Let me throw a grenade into the fire. Quoting from Ken and Mike's 'Agile Software Development with Scrum' (page 31):

      "The Scrum Master is a new management role introduced by Scrum...The Scrum Master represents management and the team to each other."

      This is a bit confusing. It appears to state that the role is managerial, but is not a manager, given that the SM bridges between management and the team.

      Clear as mud. I'd be curious to hear if Ken and Mike still believe the SM is a managerial role.

      Mark

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Mark Levison <mark@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 7:17 PM, Joshua Partogi <joshua.java@...>wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Hi Ron,
      > >
      > > I think most people to date think that a manager is someone who has people
      > > to manage. Very shallow definition of the word manager IMHO. Scrum changes
      > > the rule of the game.
      > >

      > Perhaps, but we do have to bear in mind that we are mostly talking to
      > people who use the old language for the word Manager.
      >
      > Cheers
      > Mark
      >

      > > On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 10:40 PM, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> **
      > >>

      > >> Joshua,
      > >>
      > >> On Oct 24, 2012, at 11:08 AM, Joshua Partogi <joshua.java@...>
      > >> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Everyone in Scrum Team is a manager.
      > >>

      > >> Do you not see that when you go to someone whose job title includes the
      > >> word "manager", they absolutely do not think that "everyone is a manager"?
      > >>
      > >> Ron Jeffries
      > >> www.XProgramming.com
      > >> Sometimes I give myself admirable advice, but I am incapable of taking it.
      > >> -- Mary Wortley Montagu

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic