56122Re: Is Scrum Master a Managerial Role?

  • woynam
    Oct 25, 2012
      Oy. Let me throw a grenade into the fire. Quoting from Ken and Mike's 'Agile Software Development with Scrum' (page 31):

      "The Scrum Master is a new management role introduced by Scrum...The Scrum Master represents management and the team to each other."

      This is a bit confusing. It appears to state that the role is managerial, but is not a manager, given that the SM bridges between management and the team.

      Clear as mud. I'd be curious to hear if Ken and Mike still believe the SM is a managerial role.

      Mark

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Mark Levison <mark@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 7:17 PM, Joshua Partogi <joshua.java@...>wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Hi Ron,
      > >
      > > I think most people to date think that a manager is someone who has people
      > > to manage. Very shallow definition of the word manager IMHO. Scrum changes
      > > the rule of the game.
      > >

      > Perhaps, but we do have to bear in mind that we are mostly talking to
      > people who use the old language for the word Manager.
      >
      > Cheers
      > Mark
      >

      > > On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 10:40 PM, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> **
      > >>

      > >> Joshua,
      > >>
      > >> On Oct 24, 2012, at 11:08 AM, Joshua Partogi <joshua.java@...>
      > >> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Everyone in Scrum Team is a manager.
      > >>

      > >> Do you not see that when you go to someone whose job title includes the
      > >> word "manager", they absolutely do not think that "everyone is a manager"?
      > >>
      > >> Ron Jeffries
      > >> www.XProgramming.com
      > >> Sometimes I give myself admirable advice, but I am incapable of taking it.
      > >> -- Mary Wortley Montagu

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic