56111Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Is Scrum Master a Managerial Role?

  • Alan Dayley
    Oct 24, 2012
      If everyone is a manager there is little need to label anyone a manager.

      Alan

      On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Joshua Partogi <joshua.java@...> wrote:

      Everyone in Scrum Team is a manager.

      On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Paul Hudson <phudson@...> wrote:

      This will depend, of course, on what definition of manager you are using

      Under your definition, I think, pretty much everyone is a manager (everyone manages time, for instance).

      For me a manager is allocated some resources (sometimes these are people - yes, I know - but can be other things) and is accountable for getting things done with those resources. Under my definition, the SM is not a manager.

      On 24 October 2012 15:59, Joshua Partogi <joshua.java@...> wrote:

      Definitely not true. Scrum Master is a managerial role. Even getting teams to self-organize and self-managing need some management skills. Managing the Scrum ceremonies schedules also need some time management skills. In large organisation, the Scrum Master is a change agent, he brings change so that Scrum may happen. The changes needs to be managed. You are right that the Scrum Master does not manage the team, but the Scrum Master manage the Scrum process, he even manage change in order to make it  happen.

      --
      @jpartogi

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic