56107Re: Is Scrum Master a Managerial Role?

  • woynam
    Oct 24, 2012
      Agreed, Paul. Leader and manager are two different things. A team leader is not necessarily a manager. The captain of a football team is a member of the team and a leader, but not a manager.

      I managed to get out of bed this morning and more or less make it into work. I guess that makes me a manager. :-)

      Mark

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Paul Hudson <phudson@...> wrote:

      > This will depend, of course, on what definition of manager you are using
      >
      > Under your definition, I think, pretty much everyone is a manager (everyone
      > manages time, for instance).
      >
      > For me a manager is allocated some resources (sometimes these are people -
      > yes, I know - but can be other things) and is accountable for getting
      > things done with those resources. Under my definition, the SM is not a
      > manager.
      >
      > On 24 October 2012 15:59, Joshua Partogi <joshua.java@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Definitely not true. Scrum Master is a managerial role. Even getting teams
      > > to self-organize and self-managing need some management skills. Managing
      > > the Scrum ceremonies schedules also need some time management skills. In
      > > large organisation, the Scrum Master is a change agent, he brings change so
      > > that Scrum may happen. The changes needs to be managed. You are right that
      > > the Scrum Master does not manage the team, but the Scrum Master manage the
      > > Scrum process, he even manage change in order to make it happen.

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic