56086Re: [XP] Product Owner and retrospectives

  • Michael Mallete
    Oct 22, 2012
      Ron,

      Don't get me wrong, I do favor having them all in that meeting. But let me qualify what impediments I've seen with teams I was involved with:
      - PO got bored a lot of times as there were too much talk about engineering practices improvement
      - PO is not in the day to day of things, and can't quite make relevant contributions
      - PO is not in the country :-)

      I can't recall the other stuff but I think this represents enough where I am at.

      salamat,
      mike mallete

      On Tuesday, October 23, 2012, RonJeffries wrote:

      Mike,

      On Oct 22, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Michael Mallete <mrmallete@...> wrote:

      Yipes, made the mistake of dragging in the whole Scrum Primer vs Scrum Guide thing  :-)  anyway, just saying, there's no real consensus yet. I don't think there ever will be.

      If you think about the fundamental principles of Agile, it seems clear that the whole Scrum Team needs to work together as a single self-organizing team. Therefore, if there are forces that make it seem better for the PO not to be there, you're observing an impediment to doing the best thing, and that impediment needs to be removed.

      So if the team dynamics are such that the team cannot speak freely in front of the PO, that is the problem that needs to be fixed. It might be best to have the PO stay out but you need to recognize that you have a serious problem that won't be fixed by isolating the PO away from things.
      Sometimes you just have to stop holding on with both hands, both feet, and your tail, to get someplace better.
      Of course you might plummet to the earth and die, but probably not: you were made for this.

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic