56078Re: Product Owner and retrospectives

  • Steve
    Oct 22, 2012
      Hello Mike

      The Scrum Primer was written at least 5 years ago since when there have been at leat 2 'upgrades' to the Scrum Guide.

      The latest version of the Scrum Guide has (at last) sorted out the difference between 'team' (small 't') and 'Team' (capital 'T'); this has been causing all sorts of confusion over the years!

      There are 2 teams in Scrum - the 'Development Team' and the 'Scrum Team'; the Scrum Team is made up of the the Development Team, the PO and the Scrum Master.

      In my opinion, all the Scrum Team memmbers should attend all the retrospectives.

      If it is considered that having the PO at the retrospective would reduce the 'safe' environment, then this would be an impediment that he Scrum Master should be doing something about!

      My 2-penny-worth

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Michael Mallete <mrmallete@...> wrote:

      > If you refer to the Scrum Guide, the scrum team does partake in this
      > meeting.
      >
      > Scrum Primer on the other hand makes it distinctly a team + Scrum Master
      > and only optionally the Product Owner.
      >
      > Given that, I guess that just shows how polarizing, or at least debatable,
      > this thing is.
      >
      > I would personally decide based on:
      >
      > - safety (does the team feel safer if it's only them in the meeting, or
      > it's ok to have more people in there)
      > - non-divisiveness (what does the PO feel if he/she is excluded)
      > - overall value the participants felt (more value when everyone is there)
      >
      > HTH.
      >
      > salamat,
      > mike mallete
      >
      > On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 3:15 AM, Alan Dayley <alandd@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > In Scrum:
      > > - The Product Owner is a member of the Scrum Team.
      > > - The Scrum Team has a retrospective every Sprint.
      > > - People not on the Scrum Team do not attend the retrospectives.
      > >
      > > Therefore:
      > > - The Product Owner participates in the retrospectives.
      > > - Directors, VPs and others do not participate nor attend the
      > > retrospectives.
      > >
      > > There can be reasonable and even beneficial exceptions to the above.
      > > However, IMO deviations from the above should be rare, for many reasons.
      > >
      > > Are you looking for reasons to deviate from the above definitions and why
      > > or why not to deviate?
      > >
      > > Alan
      > >

      > > On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 6:48 AM, Ram Srinivasan <vasan.ram@...>wrote:
      > >
      > >> **
      > >>

      > >> I am curious to know the different ways in which a PO can participate/not
      > >> participate in a team's retrospective. Some of the ways that I can think of
      > >> include
      > >>

      > >> 1. PO is a participant there might be valuable input from/for PO.
      > >> Also POs help might be needed to resolve some impediments beyond the scope
      > >> of the team.
      > >> 2. PO can be an observer
      > >> 3. PO not being in the team's retrospective
      > >>
      > >> Is there anything else that you can think of (may be not just PO, but
      > >> someone in a position of authority e.g. Director/V.P of development) ?
      > >>
      > >> Obviously these are context dependent, but what would be the pros/cons
      > >> and smells in these approaches?
      > >>
      > >> -Ram

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic