56077Re: [scrumdevelopment] Product Owner and retrospectives

  • Michael Mallete
    Oct 21, 2012
      If you refer to the Scrum Guide, the scrum team does partake in this meeting.

      Scrum Primer on the other hand makes it distinctly a team + Scrum Master and only optionally the Product Owner.

      Given that, I guess that just shows how polarizing, or at least debatable, this thing is.

      I would personally decide based on:
      •  safety (does the team feel safer if it's only them in the meeting, or it's ok to have more people in there)
      • non-divisiveness (what does the PO feel if he/she is excluded)
      • overall value the participants felt (more value when everyone is there)
      HTH.

      salamat,
      mike mallete

      On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 3:15 AM, Alan Dayley <alandd@...> wrote:

      In Scrum:

      - The Product Owner is a member of the Scrum Team.
      - The Scrum Team has a retrospective every Sprint.
      - People not on the Scrum Team do not attend the retrospectives.

      Therefore:
      - The Product Owner participates in the retrospectives.
      - Directors, VPs and others do not participate nor attend the retrospectives.

      There can be reasonable and even beneficial exceptions to the above.  However, IMO deviations from the above should be rare, for many reasons.

      Are you looking for reasons to deviate from the above definitions and why or why not to deviate?

      Alan

      On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 6:48 AM, Ram Srinivasan <vasan.ram@...> wrote:

      I am curious to know the different ways in which a PO can participate/not participate in a team's retrospective. Some of the ways that I can think of include

      1. PO is a participant there might be valuable input from/for PO. Also POs help might be needed to resolve some impediments beyond the scope of the team.
      2. PO can be an observer
      3. PO not being in the team's retrospective
      Is there anything else that you can think of  (may be not just PO, but someone in a position of authority e.g. Director/V.P of development) ?

      Obviously these are context dependent, but what would be the pros/cons and smells in these approaches?

      -Ram

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic