55684Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Weakness in Product Management?

    Sep 5, 2012
      Greg,

      > Product management is still an immature profession.  It is an extremely
      hard job to do well.  I imagine it may take a similar time frame for companies to learn how to master this discipline as it did for them to learn how to master software development.

      It sure seems that way to me.  I think there is definitely more work to be done here.  Someone at Agile2012 tweeted something that stuck with me and it continues to bother me some... it was along the lines of "Seems like most [Agile2012] sessions are still about building things right instead of deciding whether the thing is worth building at all."

      It seems like the Lean Startup people are headed in the right direction in terms of validated learning, etc.  It may just be time to peel off the next layer of the onion and see how we can get better at Product Management.

      -------
      Charles Bradley
      http://www.ScrumCrazy.com