55323Re: [scrumdevelopment] Like to do Scrum certification, please guide me

  • Joshua Partogi
    Jun 24, 2012
      I think one need to differentiate and separate between certification and training so the OP may be less confused. A certification is meant to assess someone knowledge at particular thing. One may be certified at particular thing, which proves that she is knowledgable at those thing, but it doesn't necessarily prove that she is good at using that particular thing. IMHO one should be able to get a certification without having to go to a training. I think that's how most certification from Cisco, Oracle and Microsoft works, which is completely fine. If the OP is looking to get certified, he may get PSM I and PSM II from Scrum.org, which doesn't require him to go to the training first. The OP might be able to answer the questions on the assesment well, but it doesn't necessarily prove that he knows how to use Scrum in contextual basis. But if he wants to know the philosophy and the mechanics of Scrum, which he cannot grasps just by reading books, he should go to the training. In the training, he might pick up a new knowledge which he didn't get just from reading books.

      On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Charles Bradley - Scrum Coach CSP CSM PSM I <chuck-lists2@...> wrote:

      I basically agree with the sentiment that reading is not enough to learn how to do Scrum *well*, which is why I suggested in my email
          > and then practicing what I learned on real life Scrum teams
      that *practice* is required if one wants to learn to do Scrum well (or, in your terms, "truly learn Scrum").

      OTOH, the OP was looking for the cheapest certification route using self study, so that's where I was coming from in my advice.

      For the most part, I went the self study route myself, so in a way, I'm defending that route as a valid one.  I don't know if I'd call myself an expert on this list, but I certainly call myself an "expert" to the other 99% of the population.  Mark, I appreciate the compliment, especially coming from you, none the less.

      A big part of my self study route was interacting on this list and getting awesome informal coaching from the people on this list.  On that note, I once again thank you all for the help.

      -------
      Charles Bradley
      http://www.ScrumCrazy.com