55292Re: [scrumdevelopment] Express checkout during a sprint

  • Mark Levison
    Jun 12, 2012
      Oksana - hmmm that doesn't sound like a good reason to change Sprint Length

      - Are you swarming all stories - so most stories are completed by the team together and no one individual
      - Are you Test Driving all of your code?
      - Are you using Acceptance Test Driven Development?

      Your system is sending you a signal, currently it appears that you're trying to ignore the signal. I would consider instead listening to the signal to see what its saying.

      Cheers
      Mark

      On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Oksana Schwartz <omaeva@...> wrote:

      I want to avoid any sprint interruptions, and I have been pushing back as much as possible, it comes down to the fact that we are an ad driven business, and money talks.  So if a sale goes through mid sprint, we need to jump on it. But the fact of the matter is, this is a semi rare occurrence.

      The change from one week sprints to two week sprints is a reaction to workflow and the type of features we are building out.  We were in a 'facelift' phase where the features were small, but had huge impact.  Now the features and stories cannot be made smaller to fit a one week sprint, and most require heavier lifting, more time in development and more time in QA.  Most of our sprint failures of the past month would not have been failures if we were on two week sprints.

      It seems in this situation that it might be better to preserve the sanctity of scrum and abort sprints, but then I'm worried there might be a phase of multiple campaigns coming through and the process breaks down completely.

      On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Mark Levison <mark@...> wrote:

      On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 6:57 PM, fortheloveofmathematics <omaeva@...> wrote:

      Hi Everyone,

      How does everyone handle high priority items that come in during the middle of a sprint?

      Normally you don't.

      Currently both of my teams run one week sprints. Coming up we will be all switching to two week sprints because of the type of work we are doing.

      Tell us more please. This seems like an odd change.

      Now a few of our product people are worrying that they won't be able to get high priority items in mid-sprint. Part of this is unavoidable because we make all our revenue on advertising and when a deal is made we have strict deadlines.

      Then you really do want to stick to one week sprints.

      I would prefer not interrupt sprints for that kind of stuff, and mentioned we could possibly allocate 10-15% of our sprint to those type of items and if they don't arise work on our tech debt.

      Any other ways of handling that?

      Cheers
      Mark

      Thank you