55290Re: [scrumdevelopment] Express checkout during a sprint

  • RonJeffries
    Jun 12, 2012
      Hi Oksana,

      On Jun 11, 2012, at 5:14 PM, Oksana Schwartz wrote:

      I want to avoid any sprint interruptions, and I have been pushing back as much as possible, it comes down to the fact that we are an ad driven business, and money talks.  So if a sale goes through mid sprint, we need to jump on it. But the fact of the matter is, this is a semi rare occurrence.

      Seems to me that the purpose of Scrum is to help the business. So, since money talks, as you put it, it seems to me that you should set up your Scrum to make it easier for money to talk, not harder.

      The change from one week sprints to two week sprints is a reaction to workflow and the type of features we are building out.  We were in a 'facelift' phase where the features were small, but had huge impact.  Now the features and stories cannot be made smaller to fit a one week sprint, and most require heavier lifting, more time in development and more time in QA.  Most of our sprint failures of the past month would not have been failures if we were on two week sprints.

      I would wager a few days fees, double or nothing, that your stories can be made much shorter and that your team can easily learn to do it.

      It seems in this situation that it might be better to preserve the sanctity of scrum and abort sprints, but then I'm worried there might be a phase of multiple campaigns coming through and the process breaks down completely.

      I rarely see the need to abort Sprints. I often see the need to learn how to make stories smaller.

      Everything that needs to be said has already been said.
      But since no one was listening, everything must be said again. -- Andre Gide

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic