55179RE: [scrumdevelopment] team-based orgs/Valve software

  • Jean Richardson
    Jun 2, 2012

      Yes, thanks, Michael for providing to me the other day the name of that South American company that starts with an “S” that I couldn’t remember.  I also have to concur with your post below, and it’s a fascinating state of affairs.  Some might be tempted to blame “management,” but, frankly, shifting the accountability and authority models in an organization cuts both ways.  I have run in to a number of cases where Team members do not want to step up to their part of the bargain, either.  We are deeply enculturated in the current paradigm, and accepting the burdens of true freedom of the sort intimated by Scrum is as shocking to most of us as  plunge in glacier melt.

      As you know, I’m doing a lot of research on this topic lately as I’m working with a couple of companies that are trying to step up to becoming team-based organizations, or at least more team-based than they are now. The examples I am aware of seem to disappear as I approach the details behind the story.  Among my sources, the point of view you portray below has come up repeatedly:  This will be a shift that takes a generation, even if all goes well.  Some sources point to two generations, which, I believe, is 50 years.

      And, yet, humans can be surprising.  The whole “tipping point” thing applies here.  Right now, we seem to see such a strong trend in top-down Scrum adoptions (which have their own problems) where previously Scrum was a counter-cultural movement.  But, still, the full reality of Scrum’s potential is often not realized.  We have to ask why that is.  The facts there seem to point to the notion that we are all—top to bottom in the organization—in this soup together, and mostly we stand around pointing fingers and turning up the heat on each other.  Our inability or unwillingness to all step up to the reality of things like cross-functional collaboration; dialogic thinking; double-loop learning; true accountability for quality; consequences as a learning tool; and personal mastery keep tripping us up.

      There may be a surprising tipping point in the next few decades that will suddenly cause Scrum, or something very like it, to come into full bloom in organizations.  It’s not clear to me what will cause that, because current trends don’t seem to be a basis for forecasting that.  I still can’t get over the fact that the Scrum Alliance has moved its big annual conference to the Gaylord resort hotel format.  People who have worked their whole lives to be in positions of power and are rewarded with money and privilege as they work their way “up” can have a hard time stepping away from all that just because it’s the “right thing to do.”  Others who have handed over a lot of personal sovereignty as part of their employment agreement have similar issues to grapple with.  The learning from what has come to be called the new science isn’t spreading fast enough.  But when it finally does, that may be the thing that pushes us over the edge.  Maybe then we will all see our individual role in the collective pain even though it’s a jaw dropping problem to know where to begin remediating at the personal level and still have a life you want to live.  It’s been a strange journey for me, given that I was raised as and feel very comfortable with the notion of the destiny of the strong individual hacking aside the underbrush to cut a path to privilege and ascendancy which has been the definition of security as well as our right as masters of the universe.  ;)

      Time to go out and prune the roses.