55174Re: [scrumdevelopment] team-based orgs/Valve software

  • Michael James
    Jun 1, 2012
      Yeah, Jean's aware of Semco, one that typically comes up, and we've certainly been hearing a lot about Valve's employee handbook lately.  I suspect the reason we hear the same examples over and over is that there really aren't many examples of large organizations fully embracing the philosophy Jean describes yet.  Some of the others we hear about as success stories from the consultant or author's perspective turn out to be mirages according to people working there, or their future performance.  I'm reluctant to name them here, but you can probably think of three or four examples.

      Many Scrum implementations are so compromised they come nowhere near Scrum's actual definitions.  Other cases of actual Scrum in large organizations are small islands cordoned off from the larger org's legacy practices.

      If all the above are true, what would it mean?  Kent Beck wrote that it took 50 years for Lean Manufacturing to become common practice.  Are we 15 years into a 50-year adoption cycle?  Or are small organizations going to eat large organizations for lunch?

      --mj
      http://ScrumTrainingSeries.com

      On Jun 1, 2012, at 5:46 AM, Jesse Houwing wrote:

      I think the means she’s looking for other organisations that use a similar orgizational model, so flat, everybody can decide where and what to do etc.

      From our training material I remember Semco as an example company that used this model in hopes to avoid bankruptcy. They managed to do so. There’s even books about it.

      I expect there to be others as well.

      Jesse

      Sent from my Windows 8 PC