55151RE: [scrumdevelopment] team-based orgs/Valve software

  • Jean Richardson
    Jun 1, 2012

      Mark –

      Thanks for asking.  I perhaps should have been more clear.

      I would not say that most, maybe even many, of those organizations doing Scrum are team-based organizations, though they do make use of teams.  Organizations have been using teams well before Scrum came on the scene.  In a team-based organization, I would expect to see a different accountability model, a different approach to authority and leadership, and a different kind of governance model than has been the case traditionally.  Scrum foreshadows team-based organizations and, in some of the writing about Scrum, the assumption that team-based organizations are present or have been emerging seems to underlie the thinking of the writer.  However, in practice, outside even most high functioning Scrum teams, the approach to authority, accountability, and governance is pretty much the same as it was before Scrum came on the scene.

      I am seeking organizations where Teams are actively involved in governing the organization, the accountability model is such that the natural accountabilities of all participants are taken for granted, and “nominal leaders” or managers outside the team are typically functioning within a facilitative servant leadership or stewardship model.  I am seeking organizations where individual contributors on teams have real influence and experience direct line outcomes of their actions.  These organizations will likely prefer direct, respectful communication and assertive, collaborative styles.  You may see team level performance evaluations composed largely of something along the lines of a 360 review by peers with management input.  You may see individual contributor compensation enhanced by team-performance-driven bonuses.  You may see largely governing their own composition and signing up for work to benefit the organization based on some sort of portfolio level project intake mechanism.  Most of all, the employee/employer dynamic will feel very different in these organizations.

      --- Jean