55073Re: Velocity Question

  • woynam
    May 9, 2012
      I have no problem re-estimating stories in the backlog that haven't started.

      It sounds like you're trying to equate story points with duration. A story point represents a measure of value/size, not duration. A point point story not delivered is worth nothing to the business. If it's completed on the first day of the next Sprint, then the full value of 5 points is available at the end of the 2nd Sprint when the product is delivered.

      Velocity is intended to be a rough planning tool. Spending time re-estimating work in progress is a smell. The time should be spent discussing why the story was not delivered, rather than the amount of effort required to complete it.

      Mark

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "gopinath" <gopinath_ram@...> wrote:

      > Mark,
      >
      > I agree with you on "If you re-estimate the stories, the velocity will not reflect their original size."
      >
      > Preserving the information about the original size estimate is one approach. I won't say it is wrong. It may be useful while doing relative estimation.
      >
      > But I tend towards re-prioritizing and re-estimating the unfinished stories in the next Sprint as it reflects the current situation better.
      >
      > This blog post by David Starr explains very clearly why we need to do so:
      > http://elegantcode.com/2008/09/16/what-to-do-with-left-over-stories/
      >
      > Gopinath
      >

      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "woynam" <woyna@> wrote:
      > >

      > > No, that is not correct. The velocity for Sprint 1 will not include the unfinished stories. Thus, the full size of the stories will be part of the velocity calculation for Sprint 2. If you re-estimate the stories, the velocity will not reflect their original size.
      > >
      > > Again, this is the reason many recommend using a rolling average when calculating velocity. A 5 point story that's completed during the first day of the 2nd Sprint will contribute zero points towards the velocity of the first Sprint, and 5 points towards the velocity of the 2nd Sprint, even though there was only a small amount of work remaining.
      > >
      > > Mark
      > >

      > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "gopinath" <gopinath_ram@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I am in agreement with previous responses to this question.
      > > > However at the beginning of Sprint 2 you should re-estimate the story points for the two partially finished stories carried over from Sprint 1.
      > > >
      > > > Gopinath

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic