55072Re: Velocity Question

  • woynam
    May 9, 2012
      I completely agree, Lance. I've been harping for years that we spend *way* too much time focusing on estimation (and velocity) related skills and issues (i.e metrics), and not enough time talking about skills that will actually get the stories finished sooner with better quality.

      A "perfect" estimate will never deliver anything sooner. A "perfect" velocity calculation will never deliver code sooner. "Correctly" labeling a bug/feature will never deliver code sooner.

      On the other hand, improved testing, integration, design, and refactoring *will* help deliver value sooner.

      Mark

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "extremeprogrammer" <LanceWalton@...> wrote:

      > The rolling average may be a good idea, because there will always be variation in velocity from sprint to sprint and it can help with longer term planning.
      >
      > However, using it to smooth the effect of stories-not-completed-in-a-single-sprint allows the team to avoid the very thing that time-boxed sprints are meant to bring out in Scrum. The time-boxed-sprint sets up a conflict that is central to Scrum's inspect and adapt activities. There are alternatives to time-boxing that avoid this conflict, of course.
      >
      > Forget about how much the estimates are, what management thinks, etc. The time-boxed sprint has told this team at least one important thing (in my view). Can the team understand what it's telling them? Can the team come up with a way to do better. They should not do this by trying to explain away the data with mathematical manipulations. They should do this by changing something that at least offers the potential of genuine improvement.
      >
      > Or they could *not* change anything. They can choose. Or not. It's totally up to them...
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Lance
      >
      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "woynam" <woyna@> wrote:
      > >

      > > No, that is not correct. The velocity for Sprint 1 will not include the unfinished stories. Thus, the full size of the stories will be part of the velocity calculation for Sprint 2. If you re-estimate the stories, the velocity will not reflect their original size.
      > >
      > > Again, this is the reason many recommend using a rolling average when calculating velocity. A 5 point story that's completed during the first day of the 2nd Sprint will contribute zero points towards the velocity of the first Sprint, and 5 points towards the velocity of the 2nd Sprint, even though there was only a small amount of work remaining.
      > >
      > > Mark
      > >

      > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "gopinath" <gopinath_ram@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I am in agreement with previous responses to this question.
      > > > However at the beginning of Sprint 2 you should re-estimate the story points for the two partially finished stories carried over from Sprint 1.
      > > >
      > > > Gopinath

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic