55065Re: Velocity Question

  • gopinath
    May 8, 2012
      Mark,

      I agree with you on "If you re-estimate the stories, the velocity will not reflect their original size."

      Preserving the information about the original size estimate is one approach. I won't say it is wrong. It may be useful while doing relative estimation.

      But I tend towards re-prioritizing and re-estimating the unfinished stories in the next Sprint as it reflects the current situation better.

      This blog post by David Starr explains very clearly why we need to do so:
      http://elegantcode.com/2008/09/16/what-to-do-with-left-over-stories/

      Gopinath

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "woynam" <woyna@...> wrote:

      > No, that is not correct. The velocity for Sprint 1 will not include the unfinished stories. Thus, the full size of the stories will be part of the velocity calculation for Sprint 2. If you re-estimate the stories, the velocity will not reflect their original size.
      >
      > Again, this is the reason many recommend using a rolling average when calculating velocity. A 5 point story that's completed during the first day of the 2nd Sprint will contribute zero points towards the velocity of the first Sprint, and 5 points towards the velocity of the 2nd Sprint, even though there was only a small amount of work remaining.
      >
      > Mark
      >

      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "gopinath" <gopinath_ram@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am in agreement with previous responses to this question.
      > > However at the beginning of Sprint 2 you should re-estimate the story points for the two partially finished stories carried over from Sprint 1.
      > >
      > > Gopinath
      > >

      > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Rama Bharti <ramabharti@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > I have a question on velocity.
      > > >
      > > > For instance, you have sprint 1 and sprint 2.
      > > >
      > > > Sprint 1 has 5 stories which in total is 50 story points. Each story
      > > > is of size 10 story point.
      > > > Sprint 2 has 5 stories which in total is 50 story points. Each story
      > > > is of size 10 story point.
      > > >
      > > > Now sprint 1 ends with 3 stories completed and 2 story partially
      > > > completed( 80 %done). What will be velocity of Sprint 1? I assume it
      > > > will be 30.
      > > >
      > > > Now pending 2 stories are moved to sprint 2. and at the end of sprint
      > > > 2 , all seven stories are finished( 2 which were moved from Sprint1
      > > > and 5 Sprint2 stories). So velocity of sprint 2 is 70.
      > > >
      > > > How do you explain this difference in velocity to management?
      > > >

      > > > Thanks.

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic