      From: woynam <woyna@...>
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, May 8, 2012 1:06 PM
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Velocity Question

      No, that is not correct. The velocity for Sprint 1 will not include the unfinished stories. Thus, the full size of the stories will be part of the velocity calculation for Sprint 2. If you re-estimate the stories, the velocity will not reflect their original size.

      Again, this is the reason many recommend using a rolling average when calculating velocity. A 5 point story that's completed during the first day of the 2nd Sprint will contribute zero points towards the velocity of the first Sprint, and 5 points towards the velocity of the 2nd Sprint, even though there was only a small amount of work remaining.

      Mark

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "gopinath" <gopinath_ram@...> wrote:

      > I am in agreement with previous responses to this question.
      > However at the beginning of  Sprint 2 you should re-estimate the story points for the two partially finished stories carried over from Sprint 1.
      >
      > Gopinath
      >

      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Rama Bharti <ramabharti@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I have a question on velocity.
      > >
      > > For instance, you have sprint 1 and sprint 2.
      > >
      > > Sprint 1 has 5 stories which in total is 50 story points. Each story
      > > is of size 10 story point.
      > > Sprint 2 has 5 stories which in total is 50 story points. Each story
      > > is of size 10 story point.
      > >
      > > Now sprint 1 ends with 3 stories completed and 2 story partially
      > > completed( 80 %done). What will be velocity of Sprint 1? I assume it
      > > will be 30.
      > >
      > > Now pending 2 stories are moved to sprint 2. and at the end of sprint
      > > 2 , all seven stories are finished( 2 which were moved from Sprint1
      > > and 5 Sprint2 stories). So velocity of sprint 2 is  70.
      > >
      > > How do you explain this difference in velocity to management?
      > >

      > > Thanks.

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to: