55047Re: [scrumdevelopment] Burndown charts and late finishers

  • Wouter Lagerweij
    May 8, 2012
      Hi Simon,

      The ideal line is not very useful, but not finishing anything for the first week would worry me.
      And it also seems that after not finishing the first week, you added stories to the sprint?

      It really helps if you can get stories small enough to finish in a day or two. If you don't have that, then this doesn't mean anything (except: 'stories too big'). Of course, if that's the case, then your burndown *also* doesn't really mean anything...

      Wouter

      On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Simon Morris <mozrat@...> wrote:

      Hello all,

      I mainly wanted to introduce myself to the group as a newbie but also ask a quick question.

      I've been following the group for a while and I find the insights really valuable. Thanks for the time you spend on this community.

      So - in our sprints we consistently start slow and have a big finish. You can see our latest burndown chart here.

      This isn't necessarily a problem as we ship features on time and with the correct quality, but it is always a slight feeling of panic as we drift away from the "Ideal" line.

      I don't really want to push the group to start stronger as we consistently deliver successfully and putting more effort into the first couple of days would just serve to make the chart prettier.

      Does anyone else see this as a warning sign - maybe I should just stop checking the burndown chart in the first half of the sprint :-)

      Thanks

      Simon

      --
      Wouter Lagerweij         | wouter@...