55046Re: Burndown charts and late finishers

  • Steve
    May 8, 2012
      Simon - if it isn't a problem, why change anything?

      Scrum is about delivering business value not having pretty charts!

      I personally do not use a Sprint Burndown, the lowest level of burndown I use is for a Release.

      Anyway, there is no such thing as an ideal line, it is a forecast; if we lived in an ideal world with robots doing the work, then a move away from 'an ideal line' would indicate a problem. However, we are people and groups of people behave differently.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "simonmorris7809" <mozrat@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I mainly wanted to introduce myself to the group as a newbie but also ask a quick question.
      >
      > I've been following the group for a while and I find the insights really valuable. Thanks for the time you spend on this community.
      >
      > So - in our sprints we consistently start slow and have a big finish. You can see our latest burndown chart here.
      >
      > https://plus.google.com/105300838558555602864/posts/LMfs4LmkEzJ
      >
      > This isn't necessarily a problem as we ship features on time and with the correct quality, but it is always a slight feeling of panic as we drift away from the "Ideal" line.
      >
      > I don't really want to push the group to start stronger as we consistently deliver successfully and putting more effort into the first couple of days would just serve to make the chart prettier.
      >
      > Does anyone else see this as a warning sign - maybe I should just stop checking the burndown chart in the first half of the sprint :-)
      >
      > Thanks

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic